What is Protect Our Children NOW ! for Pregnant Women at the Medical University of South Carolina?
Vitamin D testing has been made part of the standard of care at MUSC. All prenatal women treated through the university will receive a 25-Hydroxy Vitamin D (25(OH)D) serum test as part of their prenatal panel (the blood work that is routinely done at the beginning of pregnancy), with follow-up testing at approximately 28 weeks and 36 weeks as needed. In addition, a free bottle of 5000 IU vitamin D (provided by Bio-Tech Parmacal) is provided for all women at their prenatal appointment.
The Protect Our Children NOW! program encourages all pregnant women at MUSC to know their vitamin D test result and supplement as necessary to maintain a target vitamin D serum level of 40-60 ng/ml. Education and guidance will be provided to pregnant patients who opt in to receive it via the card provided at their prenatal appointment.
Any pregnant patient at the Medical University of South Carolina qualifies!
How do you Participate
To participate, simply:
- Make an appointment to see your MUSC health care provider
- Join the Protect Our Children NOW! educational program by completing the Protect Our Children NOW! information card at your doctor’s appointment
- Know your vitamin D serum level by accessing your results through MUSC’s MyChart system or asking your doctor
- Learn about vitamin D by reading the short, fun emails and signing up to receive quick tip texts
- Apply your knowledge to maintain your vitamin D serum level in the 40-60 ng/ml range, to protect you and your baby
To Schedule Your Prenatal Appointment at MUSC
Medical University of South Carolina
135 Cannon St
Charleston, SC 29425
MUSC Women’s Care – North
3210 Landmark Drive, Suite C
North Charleston, SC
East Cooper Women’s Center
1280 Hospital Drive
Mount Pleasant, SC
MUSC Contact Information
For more information or on-site support, contact Bridgette Blankenship at (843) 345-5251 or firstname.lastname@example.org.